Underdogs? Yankees? Nope, not at all. Yesterday, the Yankees silenced most critics by not beating but destroying the Tampa Bay Rays. To begin with, Cole looked shaky but got on a stride and look great at the end. The offense played great when needed to. Let’s dig in:
It wasn’t Cole’s best game, but he pitched well nonetheless. He had 6 IP, W, 3 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 2 HR, 8 Ks, and 97 pitches. Not bad but not dominant. He still got the win, so I’m OK with that. Many Yankee fans that I know were outraged that he let Ji-Man Choi toy him around when he’s being paid $324M for nine years. However, Cole didn’t lose us the game, so I don’t care. He didn’t have his best stuff but managed to win and not lose it. On the other side of the ball, the offense looked great. Phenomenal performance against a former Cy Young winner in 2018. They followed my game plan. Snell ran into trouble early with a high pitch count and decided to throw meatballs to the boys. So the boys decided to dig in and eat. We obliterated him in all aspects. Looks like playing Frazier was a great move. I hate that they subbed in Gardy after just two Frazier at-bats. They still believe in this Grandpa that much. It isn’t very pleasant.
However, when Stanton hit that Grand Slam in the 9th, it was like a nail to the coffin. I wish we got to see Chappy, but I’m sure we’ll see him again. I noticed that Tampa hit us in this game twice. Gardner got hit in his first AB, and Urshela got hit after Stanton’s Grand Slam. Stanton’s HR was excellent, but it was more of a luxury than a clutch HR. It was nice, but he has to do it when the spotlight is as big as the 2018 ALDS Game 4 spotlight with two runners on base down 4-3. Anyways the Rays got hit in game one. I’m sure that the “whole stable that can throw 98 MPH” can get it going soon 😂.
1. Gardner?: Clint should’ve played the whole game. He had a good game; it didn’t make sense to put Gardy in. I understand it was a RHP on the mound, but Frazier needs these at-bats. Gardner was yesterday, Frazier is today and tomorrow.
2. Analytics: Why are we still running the team by the computer? The computer can’t see things, only predict it. The computer leads to odd calls and dumb substitutions. When it works, it’s usually luck.
1. Starters out early: This postseason, no pitcher that has faced the Yankees, has not pitched more than five innings. Yes, I know this team has a good bullpen, but I’d much rather face it them their starters. The stable of 98 MPH didn’t look very good yesterday either; I understand we didn’t see Castillo or Anderson, but we saw Drake, and he’s considered one of their best. We torched Curtiss, so I’m happy.
2. Pitchers gonna pitch: I understand Cole didn’t play his best, but he was great compared to Snell. He got us the win and pitched six innings, so I’m not complaining. Green and Britton looked good as well. I miss Kahnle, but those two are holding down the relievers fort.
3. Bring in the runner: This is what Yankee baseball is about. Advancing the runner and bringing him home. This is not the relying on the HRs garbage that we did for a couple of years. When you bring home the runner, you’ll eventually get the homers but first, focus on the runner. Frazier, Judge, Higashioka, and Stanton all homered yesterday and looked good.
Preview Game Two:
Deivi Garcia is coming onto the mound in Game Two. I never thought I’d say that, but I love it! Can’t wait to see this kid prove all his doubters wrong and do his best. I think Deivi will have a game to remember and solidify himself on this Yankee rotation. He will face Tyler Glasnow, a good pitcher, but he’s iffy in the playoffs. I think this will could lead to a Game Two Yankee victory. I’m excited and ready to win!
How to Watch:
Game Two Predictions:
Me (@jd_5BD on twitter): Yanks 7-4
Marcin (@G0LDEK16 on twitter): Rays 8-7
Matt (@MeloWRLD7 on twitter): Yanks 5-4
Wens (@5BDwens on twitter): Yanks 13-4
Julian (@BLMKuz on twitter): Rays 4-1
Thanks for reading. This has been Jose Calderon III with FiveBoroughDispatch. Have a great day, everybody!